So the PS4 launch has had its fair share of problems so far this weekend and thankfully I’ve avoided most of them. I have, however, had trouble with remote play. This problem doesn’t seem particularly wide-spread but there are a couple of people in my twitter feed that have the issue as well and after some tinkering and brainstorming I think I finally found the culprit. Now, of course, there could be many reasons for faulty Remote Play like a bum wifi in your vita or ps4, interference from something outside, etc. But if you had the same problem as me there is a solution.
To make a long story short what I believe was causing my remote play to be laggy/disconnect was what channel the vita and my router were broadcasting on. This doesn’t explain why it didn’t work through my router… but it now works through my router also. Who knows, electronics are confusing.
So first start with the vita. Go to settings and you will see this page. Click on Network.
Once in network you will see the following menu, click on Wifi Settings.
The wifi settings will show the open networks around you (and whatever network you are connected to, if you are connected to a network). Scroll down and notice at the bottom that the channel is set to auto.
When you touch that you can set it to Auto/1/6/11. I decided to go with channel 6. You may need to experiment here though as maybe someone nearby has a router on channel 6. Six worked for me though.
So that’s what it looked like when I was finished. I backed out and rebooted the Vita; I’m not certain you need to reboot it but rebooting never hurts.
Next up I changed settings on my router. This may not have been necessary but it does ensure the channels don’t get crossed. Accessing your router will be different for everyone. Google it if you don’t know how. But this is roughly what you want to look for when you are in your router settings. First off, find wireless.
Once you get into Wireless you will probably find that the channel is set to auto.
I changed it from auto to 3 as that wasn’t one of the adhoc channels on the vita (remember that said 1, 6, or 11 and I had chosen 6).
I saved the settings and rebooted the router. I have since had a few hours of completely flawless remote play (both direct connected and through the router). Let me know in the comments if this worked for you. If it didn’t and you find a different fix let me know and I’ll add it to this post giving you full credit, of course.